Thursday 20 July 2017

Dress My Craft Floral papers + Colouring

Hello Everyone!

Manu here and I'm back with detailed post focusing on coloring with the Dress My Craft Floral papers. I played with a lot of distressing in my earlier post with these absolute gorgeous papers, you can find the post here. I'm more oriented towards colors and hence this post focuses on what all mediums of coloring can be done on these papers.

Distressing is one form and I will again emphasize that these papers are a delight to work with distress inks, no blotching or marks are left on these papers, both Exotica and Oriental. Well, Distress oxides have hit the market, but if you still have the inks, you can try using these papers with them.

I have a couple of projects, all considering the various coloring mediums :  watercolors, paints, distressing, water crayons etc. I have not concentrated on the sprays for this post !

Project 1:

I love doodling and thought why not!!! Doodling was found everywhere on my notebooks, books especially on the corners during the college life and it sure made life quite bright!! I'm quite smitten with the doodles that Alisa Burke makes and she is absolute smashing at making these doodles!

Here's what I made, I initially wanted to make an A5 size card, but then went on to make two A2 size tags!




Quite bright and cheerful!! The best part, the doodle is all hand drawn and then cut out!

To make these tags:
1. Take the Floral Exotica paper and cut two A2 sized panels. Apply a coat of Gesso and then some random tissue to give it a texture. I used a page from an old novel. Once this dries out, apply another coat of Gesso to smooth out the writing on the page. Give a base coat of the color of your choice to the tags. I chose green and blue.
2. Take another piece of the paper and draw the doodles. Cut them out and adhere them to the tags as per your choice of arrangement. Once done, lets color.!!!
3. I colored the doodled elements using the Portfolio water soluble oil pastels, these are intense, very creamy water based oil pastels. You can use any medium for coloring, watercolors being on of them.
Once the pastels dried a little, I tried adding a little detail using the white gel pen, but that didn't worked out, so I added the details using the white paint. Also smudge a little black color at the edges of the doodled elements to even them out with the base color. Also added a few paint droplets to the tags!
4. Finish off with a sentiment. Have used quite a bold one for the tags.

Checkout a few more closeup of the tags!








Project 2:

Another card totally made with the distressing and water coloring and loved it!

This is the front of the card!




This is how the inside looks!





To make this card:
1. Take Floral Exotica paper, I took a 3*12 inch panel and colored it with yellow and orange hues lengthwise.
2. Take another A2 size panel and distress it using the Peacock Feather's Distress ink. Can you make out if the base card is made totally using the distress inks?? That's the beauty of these papers, the distress inks works like butter and not a spot here or there!!
3. Using the MFT high rise alphabet die, I die cut the following sentiment ' I JUST WANTED TO SAY, I LOVE YOU'. My idea was to just make a card using this sentiment. Adhered the die cuts using a foam tape an a few Clay heart sequins!!
Gorgeous outcome!!


Project 3:

Here's another watercolor mini album and I also have a video of  how I colored the circular die cuts. I really wanted to try out the watercolor on the Floral Exotica paper since its water absorption capacity is high. Of course it's NOT a watercolor paper and the watercolors won't dance around or spreads out that easily, but I just wanted to see how much of a watercolor effect the paper gives and much to my surprise, I was quite happy with the way my doodled watercolor flowers turned out to be!

I had a few circular and star shaped die cuts and I just tried doing the watercolors on those, once done, I just made it into a mini album using the binder rings and added a few embellishments.

The quotes are stamped on pattern paper, fussy cut and adhered to the panels.






Here are a few more pics!
Kept it very simple because I wanted the watercolorists to be the focal on this mini, Embellishments also included a Dress my Craft sequins and the bubblegum accessories also.








Here is the link to the video. Apologies as I didn't came to know that the video stopped recording after sometime but the video below has the major aspect on the watercoloring part.


I hope you liked the project and I'm sure would love to experiment with the papers and would look no further for the perfect paper to make cards, flowers, card base or be it anything!

Supplies used:
Groove golf tool set
Floral Oriental
Floral Exotica
Hanging berries -pink family
Pastel Pearl charm

Thanks for staying till the very end!!
Happy Crafting!
Manu

2 comments: